Monday, November 26, 2007

The View from Grandma's Chair

Sometimes I think my Mother has lost her marbles, gone off her rocker, and is generally insane. This Thanksgiving was no different. My family of 6 made plans to be at my parents house the weekend before Thanksgiving and stay until the next weekend. My Mom was thrilled that she was going to have four of her Grandchildren in her home for ten days. Then the Grandma came out. She decided to go get my nephews on Monday so that all six of her Grandchildren would be there, and they could play together.

Now, when you go from having four children to having six children all at once things can get interesting. All the kids are good kids, but they are kids none the less, and they require all the cajoling, pestering, and care-taking that all kids require. So, you would think that two grown women would have no problem feeding, dressing, and caring for that these children take. About day two I was beginning to feel the drain. It was 10:00 am and I was still in my pajamas. It had taken us three hours to feed, clean, clothe, and set to play the six youngsters, and my oldest two actually do most of that for themselves. I was tired, cranky, sleep deprived (the baby still isn't sleeping through the night), and looking for a third or fourth cup of coffee. I was cantankerous and thinking that my Mother had surely lost it, but she was in Grandma heaven.

The Residence of Grandma Heaven
Two Grandparents, Three Sons, Two Daughters, Five Grandsons, One Granddaughter, and Three Granddogs

Grandma Heaven has all the business and hustle of my life, but all of that work is done in joy and happiness. Grandma Heaven becomes happier the more family there is that needs her care. Grandma Heaven comes equipped with a resting place for Daughters and Sons. It has a prayer closet for every member of her family, and advice that comes out of the lips of one filled with loving wisdom she has gleaned from that closet. Grandma Heaven sees past all the harriedness and work, and sees the joy, love, and promise that comes from that work. Grandma Heaven fortifies her Daughter's soul to know that the God given work of Motherhood is never over, and that this work is worth more than any treasure this world can offer.

3 comments:

Core Foundations said...

I can't wait to become a Grandma! Because, for some insane reason, I believe I will turn out to be like *that* someday.

Anonymous said...

Amen sister (in law:)! I'm so thankful to be a partaker in Grandma Heaven for all of the reasons you've mentioned.

Anonymous said...

It was a glorious time...and over too soon! They don't stay little long and I can remember delighting in spending time with my cousins whenever given the opportunity.