Tuesday, November 13, 2007

TAPS


My fellow Americans, it is time to stand and salute. Another soldier has gone on to meet his creator. Who is he or she? I don't know. But I will be playing TAPS at the funeral tomorrow. It is a great honor to me to be able to say "Thank You" in this way.

No tune has so profound a meaning when played at a funeral. When those twenty-four notes sound, everyone knows that a soldier who served their country is being laid to rest, and,if they are any kind of an American, then a sense of gratitude will overflow their hearts. These men and women laid their life on the line to protect our country, our freedoms, our lives, and the lives of our children. They either gave the ultimate sacrifice on the battlefields, or they bear scars on their hearts for the rest of their lives. And what is more is that they do it gladly. With fear they face their task, but they look fear in the face and refuse to let it keep them from their duty. Their families give them to us for a time, and many may never receive them home. Their spouses and children surrender them so that we can be free.

Thank you to all who sacrifice for my freedom. Thank you to your families for giving me your loved one, for sacrificing your joy that I may live to enjoy mine. I praise the Almighty God for you, and as long as I and my posterity live. You will not be forgotten.

It is never cliche' to say "Freedom isn't free." My fellow Americans, it is time to stand and salute. One of our soldiers has gone to meet his creator. Tomorrow, I will play TAPS for one of our heroes.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Growing up as an army brat, I heart TAPS a lot. But I've never grown numb to it. It still gives me chills when I heard it.
What an awesome opportunity!