Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Momma's Growing Up

There are many things that hint at you growing up, age, number of children, mortgage, etc. And all of these things are pretty easy to take in stride as they come up on you slowly. However, there are some things that just take you by surprise and make you realize that you are actually an adult.

The first time this happened to me was when we first brought Professor home from the hospital. I had done alot of babysitting, and Rock and I had done some babysitting together as well. But when we brought Professor home, I just kept feeling like I was waiting for the parents to come pick up their baby. Then I would realize that I was the parent, and no one was coming to pick up this baby. I was responsible for him. Scarry!

The next event I remember was when I turned 30. 30! That is like an adult! Never mind that I had been married for 7 years and had 2 children with another one on the way...turning 30 was what made me realize that I was a adult. The feeling soon passed.

Because the next event that solidified my journey into adulthood was in August of 2004. The church where I had grown up, where my father had been an Associate Pastor for 25 years split. It broke my heart, but I got to see Rock for the man he had become and not just the boy I had married. And I began to appreciate him all the more.

Now, I am facing one of those moments head on, and while it may seem a little silly to some, to me it is a real wake-up call. I have been asked to lead the devotional at the Women's Luncheon at my church. I was more than a little taken back when I was asked. I mean, this is what my Mother and her friends do, not me. I'm not old enough or mature enough to lead in this way. But apparently our Elders' wives think I am. Although, I am very anxious about the devotional, I am really enjoying preparing for it. I have started and stopped, written and rewritten, picked a topic and changed the topic many times, but I am learning so much. I am also anxious. I want to make sure that what I say is Biblicaly correct, and in doing this I am having to examine my beliefs and practices to make sure they are Biblicaly correct. I really have new respect for my Pastors and my Daddy, and do not envy their position even the slightest bit.

I know that there will probably be many more events that make me realize that I am no longer in my early twenties, but for now I am taking this next maturing thing one step at a time.

2 comments:

Jedi Miller said...

Ha this is so totally true about groing up. I felt the same when Shelly and I got married. It was a date that didn't seem to end, that was a good thing though :)

I see what you are saying about the whole responsiblity thing and having to do some "real" grown up stuff like lead a meeting. This is the exact reason why I am so immature :) no one is going to ask the goofy guy to lead a men's breakfast. I'd gladly do it, I'll probably throw up once I agree to do it, and stress my self out like high school student taking the SAT's. Oh well guess it's time to grown up at some point. Wait you said 30? that means i can goof off for 2 more years!!!

Anonymous said...

You know. . .hmmm.

This is such an opportunity for you to grow! (And I don't mean "grow old".)

I well remember the feeling of "playing house" and "playing babysitter" only to realize, I was, in fact, not playing at all!

Sometimes, we are pushed to teach in order that we may learn.