Saturday, July 26, 2008

Trial by Fire

Yesterday I was privileged to be able to play TAPS at a funeral for one of our Veterans. I waited for the rifles to finish and present arms, and I began the first notes. At that time I also felt a stinging/burning sensation on my foot, then another, then another. I had been discovered by a small group of fire ants, and I because I was playing, I couldn't get away from them. I really wanted to jump up and down and swat at my feet to squash the vicious little things, but I wasn't about to stop playing and draw attention to myself... so being the good marching band geek that I am, I simply took it. I would have sworn that my foot would be covered with the filthy little insects, but when I finally finished playing I counted only 4 of them. I have six bites on my right foot, and two on my left so wearing shoes is out of the question today. On the upside, the Marine detail was impressed that I stood and suffered. Stupid Ants.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm impressed that you stood there and took it too!

Good for you chica. And thanks!

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

Thank you.

The Brocketts said...

Way to go!