Friday, January 11, 2008

Reflections of a Tax Season Widow

Now hear the collective groans of families everywhere! For those of us who's husband works in the tax industry we are termed "Tax Season Widows."

For me this means that Rock will leave the house before the kids are even awake, and many times get home just in time to kiss them goodnight. It also means that during peak time the kids won't see him for a couple of days every now and then, and I will only see him when he falls into bed and when he gets up. While I bemoan the loss of my beloved during this time period it also makes me more grateful for the wonderful man that God gave me.

Rock is not just my Husband, but he is also my Friend. He recognizes Mother-in-Distress Syndrome and takes action to cure it by locking me in the bedroom by myself for a minimum of two hours. He is the spiritual guide that I need, always making sure that I take time for my own Spiritual growth. He is definitely my better half. During tax season, he doesn't get to be at home like he wants, and therefore I have to take care of pretty much everything without the help to which he has me so accustomed. He doesn't like being away from his family any more than we like having him away from us, and often feels guilty for having to be away. Then I get to be the one who comforts; assuring him that, although we miss him, we do not blame him nor are we angry at him for taking care of his family.

This time also reminds me of the Friends that God has given me. I have the most wonderful friends in the world. God has been so good to us since we moved to Texas a year ago. We have an awesome church, and through that church awesome friends. I have many, many, many standing invitations for babysitters so that I can go grocery shopping unimpeded or get out of the house for a little while by myself.

This time of the year also leads me to reflect upon those who are in my temporary situation permanently or for a much longer period of time. To those who are single Mothers and do not get to take a break, ever. I pray that you will find peace and comfort in God and that your friends will offer you the same standing invitation for babysitting that I get during tax season. To those who's husbands are away for the military for a year or two instead of just kind of out of the picture for 4 months; I pray that you also will find peace and comfort in God. That he will keep your other half safe and bring him back to you and yours. I also thank you for the precious gift of your loved one.

When this time of year comes around I get a little distressed because my safe little life gets a little disturbed, but when I really think about it...I've got it easy. Tax Season will be over in a few months.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, this is a season that shall too pass. Best of luck to you through it!

Jedi Miller said...

I guess I should be disappearing with the Rock. Hmm can the Jedi help the tax season.

Michelle said...

I've been thiiiinnnkkking about you my dear! :) Love ya!

Anonymous said...

YOU are such a tease! You wrote a comment on my blog saying, "I have more to say, but I'll post it on my blog". . .

And then. . .

NOTHING!

Sarah said...

Corefoundations: I'm getting to it!!!