Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I Hate this Book

Not everyone knows that I am a reader. I love to read, and I have been trying to increase my reading of not only fiction literature, but also of history and theology. Unfortunately, my life being what it is (wonderfully busy), I haven't been able to read as much as I would like. For the past month I have been reading a book called Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges. So what is a "respectable sin"? You know, those ones we Conservative Evangelical Reformed Christians cultivate in our hearts. I'm not talking about the gross flagrant sins of "the world," but those that you can hide from the others around you (ie. worry) or those that we excuse (ie. pride in our own spirituality and impatience with the spiritual immaturity of others).



The reason I am beginning to really dislike this book is that it is making me really look at my own sin. It is making me have to admit that I am not a good as I think I am. That I have actual sin in my life. It is making me have to be more patient with my own children, and realize that many of the sins that I try to correct in them are still in me; and though maybe not seen by men, most definately seen by the thrice Holy God. The problem is that even though these sins may not be evident to others, or even to me, they are sin. I have missed the mark. I have violated the whole law of God. I am a sinner, and I need to remember, before I judge my brother/sister/child for their more flagrant sins, that "There but the Grace of God go I."



"Lord, have mercy on me, a sinner."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain.....we are studying the same book in Lambs.

Michelle said...

Wow. We're on the same brain wave. After reading Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, I decided that was enough foolishness for a while (and SO NOT like the movie! Oh my!).

I haven't yet decided upon which theological book I'm going to attempt, but I have started Of Plymouth Plantation. Yikes. I really have to turn on Ye Olde Brain for that one!

Maybe I should read your theological book, as God has dealt with me over those very same things in the last several months. :)