Thursday, October 9, 2008

Homeschooling Blues

Yes, we get them. We all get them. You know one of those mornings where you are ready to pack up the whole lot of them, march them down to the local public school, and forget that it was ever your responsibility to educate them.

All I asked Princess to do was to write a journal entry. There would be no grade on spelling (as if there ever is, she dictates I write) or handwriting. All she had to do was tell me about something she was excited about doing, or something she had done, or... just anything. Well you would have thought I had just asked her to write her Doctoral Dissertation.

Since it was her journal, I asked her what she wanted to write about. She decided that she wanted to write about her friend's birthday party that is happening tomorrow. For the past three days the child has done nothing but talk about what is going to happen at that party. "We are going to go swimming because they have a heater in their pool. She is going to have a Hanna Montana cake. Can we go to the store on Thursday to get her present? I want to get her a Princess doll. She has Bratz dolls, but I don't want to get her a Brat (thank goodness)." On and on and on this child has gone about this party. But heaven forbid that I should ask her to sit down and write it. Now in all fairness, she was willing to write it, as long as I sat by her and told her how to spell all the words. But, the assignment is for her to write it, misspellings, bad grammar, incorrect punctuation and all. So that by the end of the year, we can look over all of her journal entries (one every 4 weeks) and see how much of a better writer she has become.

Well, when she asked me how to spell Birthday, and I would only ask her, "How do you think it is spelled?" and then proceed to help her sound it out. That was when the tears started to flow. She could not get past not spelling the words correctly. She is having a conniption fit over invented spelling. I am about to pull my hair out, because my daughter is having a weeping fit over spelling. Spelling in a journal entry. AAARRRRRRGGGGGG!!!! Now she is so upset that we have put the assignment on hold until she can calm down and do it. Because I am refusing to give in on this.

Honestly, I have no idea where this girl gets her drama and stubbornness.

Later that same day:

Okay, the drama is over. Princess did her writing assignment, and as predicted it was pretty much unreadable. Not illegible, because she has beautiful handwriting, but she doesn't know how to spell most things and many of the words were misspelled/mispronounced. After she handed it to me and I read it with her help, I put a sticker on it and we put it in her language arts folder. Then we settled in on the couch to read Pollyanna. Now that is what homeschooling is about.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh girlfriend! I am so there. Things have not gone as planned this week AT ALL! I want to become and "unschooler", I think! :)

Anonymous said...

LOL! Multiply that times thirty and you have a typical first grade class.

Anonymous said...

Sorry!

We had a similar issue this week with history narrations. All they have to do is tell me ONE sentence on what we just read. I type it in the 'puter and that's it.

I had to re-read the selection twice before they could "remember" what it was about (something hard. . .like "mummies"), and then getting a sentence! Oooph!

The Brocketts said...

Great blog! I love hearing about your life. As a college English writing teacher, just know most of them hate it until they are 25. Actually, I have one this semester who is 48 and even she is starting to glare and direct her wrath to me personally instead of towards language arts, the subject. I didn't invent English, I just teach it I always say. If your Princess has good handwriting, praise God. I can't read Tate's at all but I've had handed to me lengthy formal complaints about dinner (I could use a cooking class, to be sure), bed times, XBox priveledges, and how many books he needs to buy. You never know where her interest will take off!

Nikki said...

I am so glad that I came across your blog today, as I too have had one of those days. This is my first year homeschooling my kids (ages 15 and 10) and today I just said FORGET it. We had a lazy day and the kids looked at me and then at each other and smiled. I knew we all needed that. Thank heavens! I hope you don't mind me stopping in.

Angie said...

This is my first time reaching out about this. I'm a mom of 5yr old and 9yr old. They attend a classical private school and have been for the past 2 1/2 years. Fantastic school. Awesome curriculum. Latin, Bible yadda yadda. It's 15 miles away (1 hour ride in the morning due to traffic). They go from 8:00 to 12:40. I'm back on the road at 12:00 to get them. No time to really work a job to make money. We are financially sinking. My husband is working 2 jobs trying to keep the kids in this school. You know, we are sacraficing for the "best" education we can find for our kids. My kids are too bright and ahead now to go back to public school. Im thinking of homeschooling for many reasons, but am so afraid of myself not being disciplined enough. Ive read tons of info on umbrella, curriculum, play groups, etc. How do you completely change everything? How do you keep from going stark crazy from having NO time alone? I was never one to want to baby sit. Playing is a challenge for me. We do no extra curricular stuff at our school. Not sports kids. We really aren't plugged in there with friendships and so on. We're not even Presbyterian. Our house is a small "patio" type home. If we don't do something about our financial situation, this ship is going down. Not to mention the strain it's putting on all of us, all in the name of a good education....??? We're talking a 1st grader next year and a 4th grader. What do I do?? We sought out this school because the teachers and staff would know our kids and how great and unique they are. Not just a number. I'm pleased with the school. We just can't run with the big dogs any longer and they are too precious to put back into the "system" for 8 long tretcherous hours of rules, germs and cafeteria tray toting, and so much wasted time that they become disinterested and hate school. Which is where we were half way through 1st grade with my son and exactly why we put him in private to challege him. He is so bright and has such a big sweet heart. A naturalist really. My daughter is high spirited, social light who just wants to have a good time. Learning her phonograms and such have proven a bit difficult. We've got to figure out her learning style. Anyway - all that to say --- What in the heck do I do. I'm praying. God's driving this bus. We need a sign from him. Our "recommitment" forms are due to the school along with $1400. Ha. How do I let go of what I believe to be a great school and take over? It is possible that within a year or 2 we will be out of this serious debt and can put them back. But no guarantees on getting them back in. Somebody out there please feel my pain and give me some wise words. please. Angie - Helena, AL 40yr old artist.

Sarah said...

Angie, I hope this reaches you, as I tried to reply to you personally. There is a type of moto that is flying around the homeschool world..."If I can do it, you can do it." If you are truely concerned about your children's education then you will not fail. You will make mistakes, but because you want what is best for your child you won't fail.

The first thing you need to do is to go to www.HSLDA.org. This is the Homeschool Legal Defence Association. On their web site there is all the legal information you need in order to homeschool legally in your state. They will also have links to the Homeschool support groups in your area. They should also have the links to the homeschool book and curriculum fairs in your area. You should also seek out some of the Homeschooling families in your church. We are always more than willing to share and help.

There is a tremendous amount of informaiton out there for you to be able to utilize. We would love to be able to send our children to a local private classical school, but we can't afford the tuition. However, I love having my children at home. Because, not only am I teaching, but I am learning.

I hope that this has given you some information to get started, but if you need/want additional information please post and leave me an e-mail address. I won't post it, but it will allow me to answer your questions more one on one.

God bless you in your endevors.
Sarah