Thursday, March 13, 2008

Fruit

You never really know what God is up to in the lives of your children, until you see the fruit there of.

Christ laid claim to Professor's life Sept 8, 2006, and since then we have seen many battles going on with his flesh. However, we have also seen him soften to the commands of God and we have seen him heartbroken over his disobedience (even when we didn't know he had been disobedient). More recently we have seen Christ working in Professor's heart about his concern for other people. For example:

This past Tuesday Professor had his first Little League practice. During that practice one of the boys was just being a little bit of a pill, kicking dirt, throwing sand, giving little shoves. Aparently, I'm telling this second hand via Rock, during the huddle at the end of practice this little boy began focusing his efforts on another little boy, and Professor called him on it. "You stop picking on him. You can't treat people like that. You need to be nice to people." Well, when Rock told me this story, I was a little giddy. All that teaching, all that hard work was finally paying off.

Then last night Professor told me about the boy on his team who was "being a bully." He didn't tell me about what he had done, but he told me that he wanted to be friends with this boy, but didn't know if he should because the boy was being mean. Then he said the words I didn't expect to hear, "I think (boy's name) needs to have Jesus in his heart." Blow me down and pick me up! He's getting it! He is beginning to really understand the difference between a heart for Christ and a heart for self.

It is humbling to realize that it was not my discipline and teaching that made that difference in his life, because I fail far more often than I succeed. It is amazing to see God work in the lives of your children. I am excited to see what Christ has in store for Professor.

2 comments:

The Brocketts said...

I am so excited to hear of the Professor's maturity beyond his years. I am glad you shared this story.

Jedi Miller said...

How awesome is it to hear this? "Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it".
Proverbs 22:6