Monday, February 23, 2009

Proverbs brought to life

One of my favorite books of the Bible is Proverbs because it is always timely and true. Whenever I need to correct behavior in my children (or myself), I can always find the words and authority I need in this blessed book of wisdom. This time they came from Proverbs 27:10



Do not forsake your own friend or your father's friend, Nor go to your brother's house in the day of your calamity; Better is a neighbor nearby than a brother far away.(NKJV)


Now, I have a great relationship with my brother and my sis-n-law, but they live 5 hours away. So when I came down with a sick headache on Friday was I ever glad to have a wonderful neighbor nearby.


My headache started as, what I thought was a sinus headache, but quickly turned into a senses dulling, stomach turning, light and sound amplifying, lying on the couch with your face in a pillow and your hands over your ears, hoping that the kids don't destroy the house because you can't stop them, would rather be giving birth migraine. I called Rock, who was in Dallas at a regional meeting, to tell him I had a headache and I might need him to come home. Or, at least I tried to let him know that. I'm not real sure my words were all that coherent, as it hurt to even try to form a complete thought. Then I proceeded to try to get lunch on the table for my children. Well, the room began to sway. Then it began to be covered in purple and green spots. So...I wisely begot myself to the couch, and called on my neighbor.


Me: S___.
S: Well, Hi!
Me: I have a huge favor to ask of you.
S: Sure. What do you need.
Me: Can you come over and put lunch on the table for the kids. I can't get off the couch.
S: I'll be right there.
My darling neighbor came over, fixed lunch - from her own fridge no less - for the kids, changed Baby J's diaper and put him down to bed. All while I lay on the couch praying for sleep or death whichever would come fastest. Now, while this is an awesome act of service and kindness, let us not forget that during the day I have 5 children ages 8-17mo in my care. I am so blessed to have such neighbors and to be able to call them my friends.
Now, lest I forget, let me commend my own children. During the time that I was incapacitated, Professor and Princess kept the younger ones entertained, changed diapers, fixed snacks, and picked up messes. How's that for good kids?

2 comments:

Sunny said...

Aw, how awful. Well, awful and wonderful. I'm glad you have such a good neighbor!

Anonymous said...

Impressive! You are raising excellent children.