Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Why I Love Gift Cards

I come from a very pragmatic family when it comes to gift giving.
1. You don't give expensive gifts if you can't afford them.
2. You keep your personal feelings out of what you give someone (If he wants a singing fish and you can get it cheap, buy the stupid thing.).
3. The cheaper you can get the gift the better, and bragging about your bargain is totally acceptable; because that person should be completely impressed that you gave them exactly what they wanted and saved yourself money in the process.
4. Things that you have taken the time to make are always better than anything store bought no matter how inexpensive the materials.
5. Gift cards are absolutely okay to give. Especially if you didn't have time to make anything.

Our family especially likes to give and get hand made gifts. One of my favorite gifts my sis-in-law, BusyBee, at The Beehive gave me were some handmade paper Nutcracker Christmas Tree ornaments. She gave them because she and my brother were newlyweds, and she could make them cheap, but I think they are awesome (Plug: you can see many of BusyBee's handmade paper products at her Etsy store The Beehive). I spent $15 my first Christmas I was married and made crocheted tree ornaments, and for the past few years I've had complaints that I haven't been giving ornaments. My Grandmother and Grandfather are always making awesome things for we grandchildren and the great-grandchildren, and we will fight over them, steal them, hide them, and try to get out the door with them even if they aren't ours.

However, I also have to say that I love to get gift cards. Why? Well, it is simple really. It is money that is designated for shopping! It is a card that says, "You cannot spend me on groceries, car repairs, bills, or anything necessary. I must be spent on something you don't really need, but you have always wanted." As a mother of 4, I can tell you that a little guilt free shopping is always welcome, and it doesn't matter if it is a card for $5. I promise you that there is something that I will love that costs just that amount. This goes for my darling Sis-in-Law, BusyBee, who sells handmade paper products at her Etsy store The Beehive and takes special orders, who loves to get that Hobby Lobby gift card, and my Mother who loves to get that Sonic gift card. For me Creative Memories, Hobby Lobby or Barnes and Noble are winners.

So just keep these ideas in mind when you are buying gifts. And did I mention that my wonderful Sis-in-Law, BusyBee has an Etsy shop, The Beehive, where you can buy many pre-made or special order handmade paper crafts and the link to her store is in my side bar. I'm just sayin'.

4 comments:

CarlDog said...

What a SHAMELESS plug for your sister-in-law's store! Shame on you.

I mean, you TOTALLY forgot to mention the UNIQUE and STYLISH nature of her stuff at LOW, LOW PRICES!!!!

Get them while they last!

:P

Sunny said...

You guys! I'm blushing, and laughing all at the same time :)

Anonymous said...

Do you know what I DON'T like about gift cards (that I hadn't thought of before last year when DH mentioned it)?

"You" get taxed twice! The giver gets taxed (sales) when they purchase the gift card, and then the reciever "pays" tax on the merchandise they buy with said gift card.

Of course, if you buy said gift card from an online store that doesn't tax your purchases this doesn't hold true. . .

Sarah said...

I don't think I've ever been taxed when purchasing a gift card. How odd. Maybe it's different for you "Yankees" ;)